12/03/2013

On squid and sliding down letterforms

I wanted to say, Anna that you have caused me to think about text and its possibilities in new ways! I was due to give a talk on my work on image and affect, and I suddenly found myself writing about sliding into text itself: me and my body sliding down the letterforms on a sheet of newspaper. It's a bit silly and out of context perhaps here but I forgot to tell you about it when we last met and I was quite excited about it. Suddenly, I was writing about cleaning squid and the oozey, gooey insides of the squid splattering onto a piece of newspaper and...

"Splat. The goo flops onto the newspaper that I’ve carefully laid out in readiness. And it sits there not quite inert. Jelly like and flaccid but as if it could ooze away. I look at it up close. To watch it quiver. Its wetness sinks into the paper and spreads. Its total mass starts to deflate and even now it seems uncontainable.


The guts ooze along letterforms occupying both the black outlines of alphabetic shapes and the white spaces that give the shape shape. I feel as if I might morph and move into this mess. It improves the typeface no end, a bit of yellow gutsy stuff dangles over a T, black squid scat makes its way down the letter A. I might just slip down a letter I, squelch through an O. Motion not my own. (What is self and skin anyway? I seem porous.)

Squid guts, body and the alphabet combine, flatten out and join together to enter into the flow. More images more images. White noise, the alarms on the scaffolding going off again, faint voices from upstairs… perhaps a siren. All are images into the mix."
 

Not sure if it makes sense out of context but wanted to let you know what your work has inspired!

No comments:

Post a Comment